Forums - NuTyX
  • Fri Jul 21 04:39:30 2017
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Converting sekong to a base install  (Read 1580 times)

mhe

Converting sekong to a base install
« on: Wed Sep 24 19:01:41 2014 »

Is there a way to convert an existing sekong install to a base system?
Why I am asking this?
I have rebuild the toolchain to glibc 2.17 (with backported security patches), gcc 4.7.4 with gmp 6.0.0a, mpfr 3.1.2 and mpc 1.0.2, binutils 2.23.2, linuxheaders 3.14.18.
Then I rebuild the base packages using altered Pkgfiles for sekong or the ones from saravane where I add name and release.

tnut

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
Re: Converting sekong to a base install
« Reply #1 on: Thu Sep 25 07:00:26 2014 »

To return to a base system in sekong, you can use the command:

Make shure you read the help about it before

Code: [Select]
pkg-get help
pkg-get base
Good luck

Thierry

minimalist

« Reply #2 on: Thu Sep 25 08:48:40 2014 »

To return to a base system in sekong, you can use the command:

Make shure you read the help about it before

pkg-get help
pkg-get base
Good luck

Thierry

oh! thank you very much also from me  ;)

what does this command?

also erase all
- all created subdirs (lfs! to re start with a completely new and fresh subdir)?
- all created environment variables?
- all created links?

mhe

« Reply #3 on: Thu Sep 25 13:10:40 2014 »

Thank you. Is there a list of packages that will stay. Can I modify this list?
I rebuild my base already and upgraded to kbd 2.0.2 which requires check, that was never part of sekong base/system.

tnut

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #4 on: Thu Sep 25 13:30:24 2014 »

The list define in /etc/pkg-get.conf is the list of packages wich will be kept.

base: aaabasicfs,glibc,gcc,...

Be careful, you can add as much as you like, ONE CONDITION: ALL the packages must be on the same line starting with the keyword base:. The order is irrelevant

mhe

« Reply #5 on: Thu Sep 25 14:08:45 2014 »

Excellent info.
Is it safe to rebuild/upgrade pam or even to remove it?
What is currently depending on pam in sekong and saravane?
Same with pulseaudio although that is not part of the base so is irrelevant.

mhe

« Reply #6 on: Tue Sep 30 16:53:12 2014 »

Finished all base packages except udev, I just keep the binary. No I am building xorg with extra dependencies. I guess I have rebuilt about 100 packages.
All i686 because my laptop has only 2GB ram and this way I can also use it on my asus eee with a 32-bit atom cpu.

minimalist

« Reply #7 on: Wed Oct 01 20:29:07 2014 »

Hi mhe

Very interessting and hart job probably! Thank you for your offer per mini message, to let me profite of your work and to download new actualized packages especially from Sekong.

My problem is different! I will be able to build my distro myself but not step by step: with a script like tnut propose us.

Why?

Because I am seeing, that great distros are reducing her offer (Ubuntu: no one package any more based on xul runner! Xul runner is a stuf where a lot of French developpers were working for: A great book on Xul runner were written first in French, composer from Seamonkey is the work of a French man, the same concerning Instantbird).

So I refuse definitively to continue to use a distro seeing to abuse of her power to exclude whole categories of its current users if they do not bend to his authoritarian orders...

only a billionaire can afford this luxury!

so I will be able to build my future new packages myself and all my distro from sources out the offers of sites not beeing dependent from some Ubuntu.

my problem seems to be tha my hardware doesn't be totaly adequate with somewhat normally working with the scripts of tnut as, no doubt, you are the confirmation of that, are really working well (also by me: only one -or two- package doesn't go... but...
it doesn't!)

and I see a problem in the extremly size of the community of Nutyx! tnut cann't do more as he does , thank you tnut for your great work. and he is alone.

he requires now from his user having problems (me actually) he has to learn the cryptic and relatively rarely used LFS way to solve himself his problems. ok it is a way.

but I ask me: what is after that if my problem become more great or if my knockledge doesn't allow to really solve my difficulties (I already meet some limits: the computer using the more classic commercial hardware, Intel CPU's and Intel Chips, seem don't to be favorite for the Linux word! We, users of those hardware, did always have to wait for a long time that adequate drivers appears etc.). all my efforts will be for nothing as tnut has a limited staff!

so I did study in the time since my last test an other way to accede to help of the biggest Linux users group to help me:

use Debian.

I will try to do what you did do:

build a Debian base using debootstrap (out my actual Sekong   ;) )

rebuild all the base with apt-build about in automatic (yes, it is possible) explicitly for Pentium

and continue with that base to build the kind of SID installation that I am really wishing and not what Ubuntu prescribes or excludes (prescribe is not a problem, but exclude: you cann't find any more some app's in the actual Ubuntu depositories and it is not really recommandable to continue with such of Debian! It is probably better to use pure Debian as to mix both!)

thank you again mhe

thank you again tnut!

mhe

« Reply #8 on: Wed Oct 01 21:20:55 2014 »

I have rebuild slackware, 0linux, archlinux, Dragora, LFS and now Nutyx. All depends on good tools (package manager) and available buildscripts.
Most of the time you could bootstrap or start of like LFS pass1 and pass2.
Another wy is to start from a running minimal base system and rebuild the toolchain and the base and build on top. This is actually not a bad idea because if you do it like this, you could continue on this path with the same install.

tnut

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #9 on: Thu Oct 02 06:53:42 2014 »

Quote from: Visitant
So I refuse definitively to continue to use a distro seeing to abuse of her power to exclude whole categories of its current users if they do not bend to his authoritarian orders...

I totally agreed with you. I will even go further and saying that all those major distros tend to forget what is all linux about.
Liberty and independancy.

my problem seems to be tha my hardware doesn't be totaly adequate with somewhat normally working with the scripts of tnut as, no doubt, you are the confirmation of that, are really working well (also by me: only one -or two- package doesn't go... but...
it doesn't!)

Let's split it. I have actually on problem with pass 2, it's when it arrive at cards It complains about pkgadd.conf allready in place. This problem makes things really not easy. This morning on my bike, the way to the office, I got an idea how to solve it. It will be in the next try.
About the other packages, I'm shure it's really a minor issue and probably even not on the hardware side.

and I see a problem in the extremly size of the community of Nutyx! tnut cann't do more as he does , thank you tnut for your great work. and he is alone.

Tanks a lot for your support.

I really really appreciate. And what's even impress me more is that you DON'T GIVE UP.

You will see afterwards how will be your feeling... You will really feel ...FREE

Tonight I start a new base system whith kernel 3.16.3 (.4 if coming) and new cards (it had a really bad bug: get <package> didn't work any more ...)

Regards

Thierry