Author Topic: I am new!  (Read 4881 times)

vsayanam

I am new!
« on: Thu Apr 07 14:30:09 2016 »
It was a pleasant surprise to read about NuTyX distribution based on LFS and BLFS in Distrowatch.com. I immediately downloaded both base and gui ISOs and installed them successfully. I also installed Ubuntu Mate in the same hard disk and found that it co-existed. Sometime back I installed LFS-7.5 in console mode and later tried some Window versions also. (Recently I started LFS-7.9 and base version was installed in about 2 days' time.) It required a lot of time and effort but it was fun. But the surprise is that additional Window Managers like Gnome could be effortlessly added to XFCE4. Remarkable! I intend to closely follow this forum. Congratulations to the developers for the wonderful work done!

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
Re: I am new!
« Reply #1 on: Thu Apr 07 16:08:11 2016 »
Hi vsayanam

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Hope you'll enjoy as we do this distribution.
Do not hesitate to visit http://github.com/NuTyX and the documentation on  http://www.nutyx.org/en/documentation.html
It's a never end process

Regards,
Thierry

vsayanam

xfs not recognized by other distros.
« Reply #2 on: Sat Apr 09 16:16:42 2016 »
Hi,
After trying NuTyX installation in ex4 file system, I tried xfs in another drive (for the first time) but it was not recognized by other distros like Ubuntu 14.04 and Fedora 20. I had to reinstall in ex4 format and got Grub working finally after installing Mint. I think it would be helpful if this fact is mentioned, provided I have not made any error,
Regards.
V S Nagasayanam

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #3 on: Sun Apr 10 18:31:34 2016 »
Hi,
After trying NuTyX installation in ex4 file system, I tried xfs in another drive (for the first time) but it was not recognized by other distros like Ubuntu 14.04 and Fedora 20. I had to reinstall in ex4 format and got Grub working finally after installing Mint. I think it would be helpful if this fact is mentioned, provided I have not made any error,
Regards.
V S Nagasayanam
Not clear,
What's exaclty is not working ?
 I can only answer for NuTyX distro problems as I probably told you already. I'm using (at home) nothing  else then NuTyX for 10 years now. Up to you to use other distros. I have enought with fixing NuTyX bugs. Will not "find out why
other distros like Ubuntu 14.04 and Fedora 20....."

For your info, NuTyX (like LFS) DO NOT support the grub-config and co commands because it is useless.
If you want a working grub, best it to learn how to edit grub.cfg file. You can find the explaination here

Thanks for your feedback

vsayanam

Re: Installation in xfs
« Reply #4 on: Mon Apr 11 13:10:16 2016 »
Hi,
I am sorry for the confusion. There is no bug and I just wanted others to know that if NuTxY is installed in xfs file system, then other Linux distributions will not recognize NyTyX in the same system. However, if ext4 file system, which is now normal for most of the distributions, is used, there is no such problem.
Hope it is clear now. Apologies for wasting your time.
BTW, I have installed Gnome, Mate, KDE5, LXDE and XFCE4 in NyTyX with ease and am studying each so that I may try the same with LFS/BLFS.

Regards.
VSN

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #5 on: Tue Apr 12 00:49:31 2016 »
Do not worry, you don't waste my time  :) :) :)
Thanks for your feedbacks
Hope you enjoy NuTyX

Thierry

DannyRed5

« Reply #6 on: Fri Mar 03 11:27:03 2017 »
I'm new as well and download both of them and install with no problem. Congratulations to the developers for the wonderful work done! I hope I will find more people who can help me with few issue.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #7 on: Fri Mar 03 15:11:39 2017 »
Hello DannyRed5

Welcome on NuTyX.
Thanks a lot for yours feedbacks