Author Topic: new install ?s: where is install ?error log? (to report...)? how install strace?  (Read 6058 times)

new

I just installed the 8.1-2 .iso (as a VBox on netbook). It's GREAT/straightforward! Thanks!
I have a couple BEGINNER (to NuTyX, but Unix old-timer) questions:

The install reported a couple of errors, on-screen but scrolled off. (I checked /var/log)
It mentioned 'reporting' them (to aid devel.), but I don't know where/IF they were logged.

How would I `cards install strace`? (I found but don't [yet] know how to use:
http://download.nutyx.org/ports/attapu/extra/strace/Pkgfile

Here's a couple of things I noticed (just 'fyi' feedback, as you asked):

The *initial .iso* boot: prompt didn't wait (I'm wondering why iso has a wait of only 1).

Since Create...partition said (optional), I tried to JUST do install 1st, but it complained "no partition" (so it's optional only if existing),
so I then did *all* thru Clock. (I chose fdisk & ext4)

I was confused by the UTC choice & said no, which probably was wrong. I then set time.

I probably should not have done the Boot, because it automatically did it toward the end of the install and flashed an error (maybe that MBR.initial already existed)

I `cards remove`d 9 dialog- & 8 util-linux-<CountryCode> pkgs  (leaving 71)
(I'm wondering why they were installed, even tho I chose US English during install)
I don't think I need some of the pkgs (but I didn't 'dare' to -a them from base) like:
{btrfs-,riser,xfs}progs &maybe more...

Yes, I need to spend time studying: https://www.nutyx.org/en/houaphan-man.html

I'm impressed that the Install only took 10minutes (as a VBox, Atom N270 [no VT-x])
(I suspect a 'real' newer PC would take <1minute! COOL!) TIA!

p.s. My 'goal' is to JUST study booting .iso 's in VBox, withOUT Xwin/GUI, so this is perfect!
« Last Edit: Mon Jul 18 09:31:47 2016 by new »

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
I just installed the 8.1-2 .iso (as a VBox on netbook). It's GREAT/straightforward! Thanks!
Thanks for give a try

I have a couple BEGINNER (to NuTyX, but Unix old-timer) questions:
That's good that how I came to it  as well (HP-UX)

The install reported a couple of errors, on-screen but scrolled off. (I checked /var/log)
It mentioned 'reporting' them (to aid devel.), but I don't know where/IF they were logged.
The log feature will be implemented in beta-2

How would I `cards install strace`?
Are you sure you need that. as far as I know they are no major issues with cards. it works quite stable

Here's a couple of things I noticed (just 'fyi' feedback, as you asked):
I appreciate very much

The *initial .iso* boot: prompt didn't wait (I'm wondering why iso has a wait of only 1).
It's on purpose, I guess it was no need anymore

Since Create...partition said (optional), I tried to JUST do install 1st, but it complained "no partition" (so it's optional only if existing),
As explain in the install doc, means "optional" because already done before running the ISO

I probably should not have done the Boot, because it automatically did it toward the end of the install and flashed an error (maybe that MBR.initial already existed)
I would probably need more info about that

I `cards remove`d 9 dialog- & 8 util-linux-<CountryCode> pkgs  (leaving 71)
(I'm wondering why they were installed, even tho I chose US English during install)
I don't think I need some of the pkgs (but I didn't 'dare' to -a them from base) like:
{btrfs-,riser,xfs}progs &maybe more...I'm impressed that the Install only took 10minutes
As you have notest it's just install your ISO on a partition means with all the packages that ISO include. You even don't need any network connection.Feel free to try to build you own it's incredibly easy

new

Thanks for detailed reply effort! Yes, I am happy with NuTyX!
On installing strace, I just meant how to ... No problem with cards! Sorry for my misunderstood backticks meaning execute. I just like s&ltrace, maybe lsdev too. Etc...
Maybe there is a link on how to install, via what is in the op link above.
TIA again!
Edit. I just found How to build a package. I will research that.
p.s. Thanks for the How to build .iso link! My apology for not being more dilligent. That may be just what I needed, to explore *only* grub (just booting to a shell!) on VirtualBox!
p.p.s. I VERY much appreciate you being gentle to a newbie who didn't do their full homework!
« Last Edit: Tue Jul 19 16:56:57 2016 by new »

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
Hope you will enjoy NuTyX like we do (for almost 10 years now)

new

no en.map[.gz] for loadkeys at boot; install on xfs failed.
« Reply #4 on: Thu Jul 21 09:18:28 2016 »
I found that boot error! (mentioned in op, where I asked where/how to capture it)
It is from /etc/sysconfig/console having KEYMAP=en.map (invoked in /lib/lsb/init-functions)
There's NO such file (in /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty)!

I ran into a glitch: installing on an XFS fs seem to break GRUB! (maybe w/VirtualBox)
See attached. (each glitch gives me stuff to study/research/learn!)

I'm *loving* NuTyX! (I just tried the 8.2beta1! [saw no differences])

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: Thu Jul 21 09:32:23 2016 by new »

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
It is from /etc/sysconfig/console having KEYMAP=en.map (invoked in /lib/lsb/init-functions)
Good spot, I will look for correct this. I'm already working on setup-nutyx quite a bit.

I ran into a glitch: installing on an XFS fs seem to break GRUB!
This bug is happening when you choose to format in gpt, xfs doen't like. If you want xfs fs you need to stick to the old msdos table ...

About 8.2, it's mainly on the setup that tings will changes. I plan to add a dialog for adding a user at the end of the configuration (for example)
The installation and configuration will be log into /var/log/install.log

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
There's NO such file (in /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty)!
Should be us.map. will be corrected in rc1 Its' beta-2 time now

http://downloads.nutyx.org/?C=M;O=D

Enjoy

new

Hi! I just got 8.2.93; *love it* Big thanks for all you do! Here's some fb:
I can't find netstat (nor 8.1; maybe I don't need it, for -tlpn [lsof -i;nmap --open])
**Bug: can't `nu user` nor select "user" as username! (literally user!)
Cosmetic: boot .iso with *NO* partition table causes tons of init line 122 msgs: Attached
(is there the 'install log' you mentioned above for beta? Couple things flashed by...)
*FAQ should say: upgrade NuTyX (prior to 8.[2 NOT 0]) to 8.2
When I did 1st reboot, it 'got' kernel-lts 4.9.4 (which cards diff had listed)!!
Bug?: # cards files zzzz
Retrieve info about the 143 packages: cards 2.1.105 files: could not open /var/lib/pkg/DB//files: No such file or directory

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
Hello New,
Thanks for your feedbacks

Cosmetic: boot .iso ..
FIXED in the next 8.2.94 ISO

The install log is located in /var/log/install.log

Bug?: # cards files zzzz
Can be, we did change the location of those modules they moved from virtualbox (or nvidia) to the kernel. Should be ok on 8.2.1 by the way
« Last Edit: Thu Jan 26 10:31:00 2017 by tnut »