Author Topic: Mouse and keyboard not working after install  (Read 7395 times)

schwedenmann

Mouse and keyboard not working after install
« on: Sun Jan 29 11:33:26 2017 »
Hallo

I am new to NuTyx

I have installed latest NuTyX (for testing purpose), all went fine, except the two things mentioned in the title. I made "get xorg lxdm firefox icewm (or openbox) xterm idesk" all went good, but after reboot I could get mouse or keyboard working.

Must I put a minimal xorg.conf for mouse and keyboard under /etc ?
Thats an obsolete action, since xorg detect mouse and keyboard automatic, so what do do, to get a working mouse and keyboard.

schwedenmann

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
Re: Mouse and keyboard not working after install
« Reply #1 on: Sun Jan 29 16:33:24 2017 »
Hello schwedenmann

Welcome to the forums.

As your NuTyX was working fine untill you reboot, I think you have several partitions with several distributions (means several kernels). You probably adjust your grub.cfg  and by mistake NuTyX is now using another kernel from another partition. So to fix that it's very simple: Make shure to specify the line:

set root=(hdX,Y) in your entry. Reread the explaination in the picture below, then will be crystal clear.

If still problems, provides us a detail on your harddisk layout

schwedenmann

« Reply #2 on: Sun Jan 29 17:29:06 2017 »
Halle

@Tnut

Sorry, but you have misunderstood me.

nytyx is on a multiplelinuxbootpc (10Linux, just for test purpose ;D)
nytyx is on 1 partition (sda14) and I am booting the whole pc per grub2 from sda2. Booting works fine, i got to the login-manager (lxdm) , but I cannot mouve the mouse-cursor, nor could I type anything with keyborad. I have mounted sda14 from another partition and there is only a minimal 20-config, for keyboard, in /etc.

schwedenmann

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #3 on: Sun Jan 29 17:44:26 2017 »

Make shure your active grub.cfg (locate on /dev/sda2) has the following entry:

Code: [Select]
menuentry "NuTyX Linux on /dev/sda14" {
set root=(hd0,14)
linux /boot/kernel root=/dev/sda14 ro
}

schwedenmann

« Reply #4 on: Sun Jan 29 17:49:31 2017 »
Hallo

I can boot nytyx, that works, i came to lxdm and than the bootprocess is finished, because i cannot make any entrys for login and password in lxdm. xorg is working I have a login-screen with lxdmn, but mouse and keyboard is not working, that has nothing to do with grub, that point works.

schwedenmann

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #5 on: Sun Jan 29 18:10:29 2017 »
...but mouse and keyboard is not working,t hat has nothing to do with grub
If you are booting the wrong kernel, eudev cannot do it's job (loading the module for the keyboard, for the mouse, etc.) As a result no possibility to type anything. And who is deciding which kernel have to be loaded: its grub2.

Remember that's it works first time (after installation)

Again, check it and maybe show us the content of your grub.cfg.

schwedenmann

« Reply #6 on: Sun Jan 29 19:29:07 2017 »
Hallo

@tnut

Sorry my fault

ist works.

There are 2 kernel 4.4.24 and 4.4.38 after Installation, but my grub from sda2 generated the "old" 4.4.24 as first Kernel entry in grub.cfg, wenn going to second bootentry , nytyx boots and mouse and keyboard are working.

schwedenmann

P.S.
I had used a few source-based dirtris as gentoo, sabayon,sourcemarge,slackware and lunar. NyTyX made a good figure, easy Installation and an i hope also easy pakagemanagement.
P.S.S.
The only thing I will mentioned is the grub-dialog in Installation. Because I am leave this step out, I guessed, grub would not be installed (what is does) so I have to recover the MBR with rescatux. It would better to make clear, that grub will be installed , what ever the user is doing or not, or make a menu-entry not to install grub.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #7 on: Sun Jan 29 20:21:30 2017 »
and I hope also easy pakage management.
Hope you'll like it. As you maybe knows already, it's has it's own and I code it myself.

so I had to recover the MBR with rescatux.
That's not clear for me, did'nt you had already a working booting harddisk ? In that case, it was just necessary  to add an new entry into grub.cfg

It would better to make clear, that grub will be installed , what ever the user is doing or not,

I'm not shure I really understand what you means now