Author Topic: mkswap in nutyx-setup changes uuid of all swaps  (Read 10021 times)

mikke

mkswap in nutyx-setup changes uuid of all swaps
« on: Wed Sep 13 20:58:07 2017 »
Can nutyx team change the mkswap behaviour of nutyx-setup, not to mkswap on already activasted swaps of other linuxes? How about a check of valid swaps and then a simple swapon on already used swaps? Or to let choose to use an active swap or when not available to create one and then to mkswap on selected partition?!
I always use uuid's because of usb attached hdd on an notebook.
All other things on system are O.K. ... Sometimes cards tell me .../filelist? not found than i have to cvopy the backup to filelist. System is very fast, only problems with japanese fonts on kde xfce.
Hope you stay as simple ...
Mikke
« Last Edit: Thu Sep 14 08:12:02 2017 by tnut »

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
Re: mkswap in nutyx-setup changes uuid of all swaps
« Reply #1 on: Thu Sep 14 08:19:15 2017 »
Hello Mikke,

Welcome to NuTyX community. Thanks a lot for your comment about the installer.

How about a check of valid swaps and then a simple swapon on already used swaps?
It would be possible, but I would like to know why you don't want that setup-nutyx automaticaly (re)format swap partitions?

Sometimes cards tell me .../filelist?
This would need more inputs from you... I'm lost here.

only problems with japanese fonts on kde xfce.
I might be wrong but for the moment KDE or Xfce on NutyX do not support Japanese fonts. Nevertheless, it should be possible to install some with minor effort.

Regards

Fullstex

« Reply #2 on: Wed Apr 18 10:19:26 2018 »
How long have we not been able to help with this interesting issue? I'm very surprised and happy to discuss it.

Dwanmealy

« Reply #3 on: Thu Sep 27 02:27:34 2018 »
The feeling of me now is very glad to be with everyone here.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #4 on: Sat Oct 20 14:43:18 2018 »
This is not an issue because I can't see what's the benefit of it

fungalnet

« Reply #5 on: Sun Oct 21 15:05:41 2018 »
I never allow the installer to do any partitioning on its own, I'd rather do this on my own afterwards.
If you have a swap partition already in the system all you have to do is add a swap line to your fstab.

What sounds like happened is that your swap partition was overwritten by a new one with a new uuid and all other installations that had the old id lost it, so you have to replace it with the new one on /etc/fstab on each one affected.

Code: [Select]
UUID=abcde-fghikk-123456-7890123   swap   swap   defaults,noatime   0   0or
/dev/sdaxx   swap   swap   defaults,noatime   0   0
works with most linux I've tried.
then do
$ sudo mount -a
$ free
$ sudo swapon /dev/sdaxx
$ free

to verify that it is active immediately after the swapon command is issued.
Similarly you can create a swapfile like /etc/swapfile , use dd to copy /dev/zero x times in it to set the size. 
# sudo dd bs=1K count=1024K if=/dev/zero of=/etc/swapfile1k x 1024k = 1GB of swapfile.  But I don't recommend this as much because the swap area can be used in case of a crash with journaling abilities to correct the partition after the crash.  If the swapfile gets corrupt as well your partition may be gone.  This is why it is good to have swap even if you have 4 times more ram than you ever use.  This I think goes along the use of restore=/swap/...  in the linux boot line