Author Topic: Customized .iso question  (Read 11501 times)

oyim

Customized .iso question
« on: Mon Nov 26 06:22:09 2018 »
Hi thierry!

I finally got around to trying the "build your own customized .iso". Everything went great except for one issue. Before I generated the squashfs files, I looked at the containing folder. I noticed there was no Home folder that had been generated. I started to copy mine to it, but decided to go ahead without it. Of course, I got an error that no Home folder was present. It still produced the .iso, so I'm excited about that...will be a while before I can try it live.

My question is...

Is the lack of a Home folder intentional so that the user can add their own customization before generating the squashfs files and .iso?

Thanks again for such a great system!  :D

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
Re: Customized .iso question
« Reply #1 on: Mon Nov 26 11:31:07 2018 »
Is the lack of a Home folder intentional so that the user can add their own customization before generating the squashfs files and .iso?
If you create a user while you are in the chroot building your own customized NuTyX and you choose then to create a new user with the command:
Code: [Select]
setup-nutyx -cu
A /home/<yournewuser> folder will be created. At the generation of the squashfs files, it will be included, and onces you launch the live (for example) no new user will be created. Same if you install it, it will have your <yournewuser> configured and valid.

And this feature works for other configuration parts:

network:              setup-nutyx -cn
language(locale): setup-nutyx -cl
clock:                  setup-nutyx -cc
keyboard:            setup-nutyx -ck

So yes the lack of a Home folder is intentional in a normal ISO generation. That's actually how setup-nutyx knows if they is a user or not already configured

Do not hesitate to ask me if not clear

Thanks again for such a great system!
Thanks a lot for your nices videos and feedbacks

« Last Edit: Mon Nov 26 20:06:01 2018 by Thierry »

oyim

« Reply #2 on: Mon Nov 26 19:36:56 2018 »
HOORAY!

Despite not including a Home folder during the build, when I tried the "Live" option, it asked me to create a user before booting into the live system, and...it had a Home folder! Amazing!  :D

Thank you for the tips! I will play around with it some more and see what happens.

Is it possible to use the same build to customize it more, or do I need to start a new build? Either way is fine with me...yesterday was mainly just a learning experience.  ;)

Thank you!

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #3 on: Mon Nov 26 20:04:17 2018 »
Is it possible to use the same build to customize it more?
Absolutly, that's what I'm doing all the time when I update my custom ISO.

Go directy to: http://nutyx.org/en/generate-iso#9 and go on, you can skip http://nutyx.org/en/generate-iso#10 if you didn't update the kernel. Yes even update your custome ISO with newer version will works
« Last Edit: Mon Nov 26 20:05:56 2018 by Thierry »

oyim

« Reply #4 on: Tue Nov 27 11:35:52 2018 »
Worked like a charm!  :)

Thank you for allowing others to do this so easily.

oyim

« Reply #5 on: Fri Nov 30 03:52:57 2018 »
Hi Thierry!

The .iso is coming along nicely!  ;)

I have a couple of questions...please know that this was done in Virtualbox; I haven't tried installing it on actual hardware yet.

1. When using the "Install NuTyX on your machine" option (from my menu) in the live environment, I receive the following error...

Failed to execute child process "evte" (No such file or directory)

However, if I run the executable from the terminal (in the live session)...

sudo /root/bin/setup-nutyx
...the installer works great! I'm also able to install it from the Install option in the Grub screen.

Just wondering if I've done something wrong or left something out that may be causing that error. It's not a problem to me...just curious.  ;)

2. The installer didn't allow me to create a new user during installation. Again, this is something that isn't a big deal...just wondering if I did something wrong or left out something during the build process?

3. Is it possible to build a 32bit version on my 64bit computer by specifying the architecture, or do I need to be on a 32bit computer?

Thank you Thierry...your work is amazing!

oyim

« Reply #6 on: Fri Nov 30 04:50:14 2018 »

1. When using the "Install NuTyX on your machine" option (from my menu) in the live environment, I receive the following error...

Failed to execute child process "evte" (No such file or directory)

However, if I run the executable from the terminal (in the live session)...

...the installer works great! I'm also able to install it from the Install option in the Grub screen.

Just wondering if I've done something wrong or left something out that may be causing that error. It's not a problem to me...just curious.  ;)

Okay...I was given some advice, and I'm adding the packages vte and vte3 to see if that will help.  :)

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #7 on: Fri Nov 30 08:46:02 2018 »
When using the "Install NuTyX on your machine" option (from my menu) in the live environment, I receive the following error...

I believe evte is the default terminal configured in your DE. This configuration is If I'm right done by the xdg-utils package.
So you have 3 possibilities:
- you have to build the request terminal
- modify your config
- make a link to let run xterm instead of evte
ln -sv xterm /usr/bin/evte
The installer didn't allow me to create a new user during installation.
Normal behavior, the installer found out that alreaydy one user exist so will not ask automaticaly for a new one.
To create a new one after install, runs:
sudo setup-nutyx -cu
Is it possible to build a 32bit version on my 64bit computer by specifying the architecture?
Yes, as explain here:

run the script install-nutyx by specifying the "ARCH" variable:
ARCH=i686 install-nutyx

« Last Edit: Fri Nov 30 11:42:17 2018 by Thierry »

oyim

« Reply #8 on: Fri Nov 30 10:12:02 2018 »
Thank you Thierry. My apologies for not being more studious.

I believe evte is the default terminal configured in your DE. This configuration is If I'm right done by the xdg-utils package.
So you have 3 possibilities:
- you have to build the request terminal
- modify your config
- make a link to let run xterm instead of evte

Ahhh...thank you. To be honest, I've never even heard of the evte terminal.  ;D 

Normal behavior, the installer found out that alreaydy one user exist so will not ask automaticaly for a new one.

I thought that was probably the situation. No problem and easily taken care of! Thank you.  :)

Yes, as explain here:

run the script install-nutyx by specifying the "ARCH" variable:

Thank you. As I said at the beginning of this post...my apologies for not being more studious.

Your help has been much appreciated, and thank you for taking the time to answer.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #9 on: Fri Nov 30 11:42:02 2018 »
You're absolutly welcome, I appreciate so much such a feedbacks.

oyim

« Reply #10 on: Wed Dec 12 09:31:31 2018 »
Thierry,

I've tried linking both xterm and lxterminal to evte, but I still get errors when trying to open the installer in the live session...the error says
Failed to execute child process "x-terminal-emulator" (No such file or directory).

I'm trying to keep from having to build evte if possible.  :P

Also...I have looked through all of the folders and files in the build environment, but I can't seem to find which configuration to change in order to have the installer open in the live session with another terminal other than evte. Can you possibly tell me where to look?

However...I am able to run the installer in the live environment by opening either lxterminal or xterm and issuing the command...

Sorry...I have tried to figure this out on my own...but I've had no luck.  ;D

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #11 on: Wed Dec 12 17:01:52 2018 »
I will figure out and come back to you as soon I have a solution.

Thanks again for your nices videos you post on YT

Regards,
Thierry

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #12 on: Wed Dec 12 20:02:25 2018 »
Found it:

Check your /usr/bin/obamenu file, line 13
terminal_string = "evte -e"         # your favourites terminal exec string
I guess you know what you need to put there :D
« Last Edit: Wed Dec 12 20:31:10 2018 by Thierry »

oyim

« Reply #13 on: Wed Dec 12 21:57:00 2018 »
Found it:

Check your /usr/bin/obamenu file, line 13
terminal_string = "evte -e"         # your favourites terminal exec string
I guess you know what you need to put there :D

Well that's embarrassing!  ::)  What an idiot I must be! :o

All this time, I thought it was a configuration file somewhere in one of the folders produced by the build itself. I looked at every file...EVERY FILE...even the ones that were obviously not going to have what I was looking for!  ;D
...and it was in my menu configuration!  ::)  What's bad is, I know to change the default terminal in obmenu-generator, it never occurred to me to change it in my current menu. I'm no longer using obamenu, so I'll look over the python script for pmenu.

Thank you Thierry...and I'm so sorry that I caused you extra work. Like I said in several of my videos...I'm such an idiot...and this just proved it!  ;D   :o  ???  :-[  ;D

...gonna have to make a video about my idiocy on this for sure... ;D

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #14 on: Wed Dec 12 22:08:34 2018 »
Don't be sorry, It's a pleasure to help you really. I learn a lot by looking at your videos