Author Topic: Question about xterm...  (Read 3582 times)

oyim

Question about xterm...
« on: Mon Sep 09 08:06:59 2019 »
Hi Thierry!

As you know, I have made an update-notifier for my NuTyX installations. I would like to share it with others if they would like to use it, but I have one concern...it depends on a terminal to install the upgrades.

I currently have it set to use lxterminal on my Openbox installation and Qterminal on my LXQt installation. So, I have a simple question...

When a user installs any flavor of NuTyX, does xterm always get installed along with xorg?

I'm asking, because if xterm is always included on any NuTyX installation, I can write the script to use xterm so that it will work on any system. Then it wouldn't be necessary for others to edit the script to use their system's terminal...unless...a user wishes to use a different terminal for the update notifier other than xterm.  ;)

I guess a second option would be to show that xterm is a dependency in my instructions?

Thank you!

« Last Edit: Mon Sep 09 20:10:02 2019 by Thierry »

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
Re: Question about xterm...
« Reply #1 on: Mon Sep 09 18:53:29 2019 »
does xterm always get installed along with xorg?
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Let's develop why and how come it's true :)

when you check the page: Installing a login manager As you see in both case xorg-xinit is installed. xorg-term is a runtime dependencie of xorg-xinit. xorg-xinit is a runtime dependencie of lxdm and xorg-xdm. So yes as soon you install an graphical interface, it's a must to have xorg-xinit with bring xorg-term (xterm) along.

If you like when we build the package responsible for the update-notifier, we could add xorg-term as a runtime dependencie as well so we are really sure.

They is still another approach it's the one used by xfce4 for example, is to define what terminal tool is going to be the default, I thing it used xdg-utils for that purpose.
« Last Edit: Mon Sep 09 20:10:05 2019 by Thierry »

oyim

Re: Question about xterm...
« Reply #2 on: Tue Sep 10 11:45:01 2019 »
Thank you Thierry...I assumed it would be included, but I just wanted to make sure.  ;)