Author Topic: NuTyX 11.2 Available  (Read 4405 times)

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
NuTyX 11.2 Available
« on: Tue Oct 15 19:40:49 2019 »
NuTyX 11.2 available with cards 2.4.103

I'm very pleased to announce the new NuTyX 11.2 release.

The 64-bit version contains more than 2800 packages upgraded.

The 32-bit version of NuTyX, still actively supported contains more then 1800 packages upgraded.

In the newest release, base NuTyX comes with the Long-Term Support (LTS) kernel 4.19.79 (4.9.196 for the 32-bit version).

For 64-bit systems,the kernel release 5.3.6 is also available.

The gnu compiler collection, gcc, is now gcc 9.2.0.

The graphical server is xorg-server 1.20.5.

The mesa lib is 19.2.1, gtk3 is 3.24.12, and qt has been updated to 5.13.1.

Python interpreters 3.7.4 and 2.7.16 have been included in this release.

The MATE Desktop Environment comes in 1.22.2, the latest version.

The KDE Plasma Desktop is now 5.16.5, the Framework is now 5.62.0 and applications are now 19.08.2

Available browsers are: firefox 69.0.3, falkon 3.1.0, epiphany 3.34.0, etc

Many desktop applications have been updated as well like thunderbird 68.2.1, Scribus 1.5.5, libreoffice 6.3.2.2, gimp 2.10.12, etc.

4 news ISOs are available.

for 64-bit:

The first ISO is a base NuTyX "rolling" version with a size of 402 Mbytes.

A 4.5 GByte ISO base NuTyX "fixed" version is available which contains a complete repository of the binaries for the NuTyX 11.2 release. You can install NuTyX 11.2 completely without having to use the internet. To install packages from this ISO, once your base system is installed, configured and booting, it's just a question of mounting the media on the /mnt mounting point.

Suppose you media is found under /dev/sdc1, use the following command to mount it:

Code: [Select]
sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt
    Change this command to reflect your system.

A 1.7 GByte MATE desktop in "rolling" version.

for 32-bit:

A 325 Mbytes ISO base NuTyX "rolling" version.

ISOs are available on the download page.

CARDS

The six official collections

The number of official collections is now 6:

base
    cli
    cli-extra
    gui
    gui-extra
    desktops

All the supported desktops graphical interface under NuTyX are in the desktops collection.

Collections nos, lxde, mate, kde5, lxqt, gnome and xfce4 will be removed from the mirrors servers.

It is therefore important to update manually the configuration file /etc/cards.conf as explained below. A successful update can not be done without this manipulation.

A set of packages

The concept of "set of packages" is introduced. A packages set adds important functionality such as a graphical desktop. Henceforth, the main desktops (kde5, xfce4, mate, etc..) are considered as sets of packages.

To install a supported desktop under NuTyX, the command remains the same, example for kde5 (Plasma5):

get kde5
New recipe syntax

The syntax of a recipe has been revised. Following a very relevant bug return, I decided to stop keyword support via a comment in a package build recipe. The definition of a recipe is therefore only via variables and tables. Comments are now considered comments only. The large number of updates is largely the consequence of this new feature.

Upgrade process

Since this is a minor release, an upgrade is possible.

Please use following commands to proceed:

We start by creating a new /etc/cards.conf file:

sudo bash
echo "url http://downloads.nutyx.org" > /etc/cards.conf
for i in desktops gui-extra gui cli-extra cli base
do
   echo "dir /var/lib/pkg/depot/$i" >> /etc/cards.conf
done
echo "base /var/lib/pkg/depot/base
group en
version rolling" >> /etc/cards.conf
exit

If you don't know the shortcut of your language, rerun the command:

sudo bash

setup-nutyx -cl
exit

We can now start the upgrade process:

check
sudo cards upgrade
« Last Edit: Wed Oct 16 08:35:48 2019 by Thierry »

dufresnep

Re: NuTyX 11.2 Available
« Reply #1 on: Fri Nov 29 18:57:20 2019 »
I made a USB key with latest version.
If, when booting, I give an empty password to the user I define, then I won't be able to login...
neither in graphical or console.

dufresnep

Live booting is slow because it copy everything to RAM
« Reply #2 on: Sat Nov 30 02:15:45 2019 »
Yeah... I tend to be the bad guy that come with what is wrong not mentioning what is cool.
But hey, if I need to express what is wrong, it's because it's good enough for me to choose
this distribution to be used... and get to see things I like less and wish would become 'fixed' in the future.

Now, I admit I tend to used Linux differently than others.
In part to test and erase hard disks.
So for me booting time is precious because I just test a disk 3 to 5 mins, then shutdown,
change hard disk, and reboot.

NuTyX 11.2 is very bad for this... because it try to copy as much as possible into RAM when booting live.
And this is very long... but after, you can remove the USB key, and programs start fast because they are
in memory. But for me, I would like a 'boot live fast' option... that would copy a minimum to RAM, if at all.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
Re: Live booting is slow because it copy everything to RAM
« Reply #3 on: Sat Nov 30 10:06:46 2019 »
NuTyX 11.2 is very bad for this... because it try to copy as much as possible into RAM when booting live.
And this is very long... but after, you can remove the USB key, and programs start fast because they are
in memory. ...

They was a very good reason for that. Today many computers like laptop and INTEL tablets comes with only one USB port. So nice but if for example the pad or even worth the keyboard not working for any reason, you have the chance to plugin a mouse/a keyboard.

I can fix a lot of tings, but they really need to be relevant. For the username/password in the live system, as you probably knows it's just the lifetime of the live system. So typing just a single character  will make it...

It's very easy to build your own ISO with your own setting (including password less user). Just need to be motivated. You have no idea what you can do with NuTyX. Just do not assume anything.
« Last Edit: Sat Nov 30 10:13:04 2019 by Thierry »

dufresnep

« Reply #4 on: Sat Nov 30 18:25:07 2019 »
I have tried to build the ISO like suggested.
But when I enter the installation, then come to do:

mkinitramfs `basename /lib/modules/*` -nfit does not work because the only directory in /lib for me is services

I just don't know why.

Edit: That was because I had /etc/install-nutyx.conf and some /etc/install-nutyx.conf.d... so install-nutyx was not doing it's full job.
« Last Edit: Sat Nov 30 23:00:08 2019 by dufresnep »

dufresnep

« Reply #5 on: Sun Dec 01 00:50:24 2019 »
I am writing this from my own generated iso, with XFCE environment.  8)
I first made a normal version without Xorg... and it works fine: that's strange because of the problem I am about to explain.
[Edit1]Oy yeah, I know why it works. The first time I was following more closely the instructions, and have set
export NUTYX_TMP=/mnt/nutyx_tmp
later I created tmpnutyx in my home directory instead, and redid the git clone[/Edit1]

Then I did new install-nutyx -ec after setting again LFS and NUTYX_TMP.
But my next reboot came to a boot: prompt... without much I could do.

I then realized that a few Isolinux files were empty... like isolinux.menu ... etc.
Then looking to the output of mkiso, I have seen that there were errors about 4 isolinux files of style:
sed /home/paul//home/paul/someisolinux.something was not found.
I come to understand that the problem seems that the sed expects the NUTYX_TMP variable to be local.
So I changed:
export NUTYX_TMP=/home/paul/tmpnutyx
to:
export NUTYX_TMP=tmpnutyx

then rerun bash $TMP_NUTYX/scripts/mkiso
and this time the errors were gone... and the generated iso booted.
« Last Edit: Sun Dec 01 01:04:05 2019 by dufresnep »

oyim

« Reply #6 on: Mon Dec 02 06:47:51 2019 »
I am writing this from my own generated iso, with XFCE environment.  8)
I first made a normal version without Xorg... and it works fine: that's strange because of the problem I am about to explain.
[Edit1]Oy yeah, I know why it works. The first time I was following more closely the instructions, and have set
export NUTYX_TMP=/mnt/nutyx_tmp
later I created tmpnutyx in my home directory instead, and redid the git clone[/Edit1]

Then I did new install-nutyx -ec after setting again LFS and NUTYX_TMP.
But my next reboot came to a boot: prompt... without much I could do.

I then realized that a few Isolinux files were empty... like isolinux.menu ... etc.
Then looking to the output of mkiso, I have seen that there were errors about 4 isolinux files of style:
sed /home/paul//home/paul/someisolinux.something was not found.
I come to understand that the problem seems that the sed expects the NUTYX_TMP variable to be local.
So I changed:
export NUTYX_TMP=/home/paul/tmpnutyx
to:
export NUTYX_TMP=tmpnutyx

then rerun bash $TMP_NUTYX/scripts/mkiso
and this time the errors were gone... and the generated iso booted.

Thanks! I was having the same issue. The
boot: prompt meant that it would only boot in EFI. I tried what you suggested and made a temporary folder in my home folder, and after making a new .iso, it will boot in either BIOS or EFI.

Not sure why, but those files that you said were empty on yours...weren't empty on mine even though I was getting that boot: prompt.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: Mon Dec 02 06:49:32 2019 by oyim »