Author Topic: Mutt package SMTP compile option?  (Read 3721 times)

hjevets

Mutt package SMTP compile option?
« on: Mon Nov 25 09:20:37 2019 »
Hi,
I do not have a high level of technical knowledge - certainly not to the level of LFS and general Linux knowledge you recommend; however the NuTyX project is very interesting and I have been exploring it. I'm not particularly used to forum posting either. So, I apologise if my questions are trivial or wrongly placed.
It appears to me that the Mutt package for NuTyX has been compiled without support for SMTP enabled. If so, why?
Thanks.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
Re: Mutt package SMTP compile option?
« Reply #1 on: Tue Nov 26 09:47:39 2019 »
Thanks you for your message. I have check that but in the compilation logs, nothing is mention about SMTP. My question is: Which error message do you get ?

hjevets

« Reply #2 on: Wed Nov 27 09:00:23 2019 »
Hi, I'll try to provide useful information. As I mentioned, I may not have adequate technical knowledge, so please do not let me lead you on a 'wild goose chase' :-) I will not be offended if you do not have time.

I am trying to use mutt to access and send from a gmail account. Accessing the gmail account to read email is working. However when starting mutt I get an error with "smtp_pass unknown variable" indicating mutt does not know of the smtp password variable.

"mutt -v" command shows amongst other details that --enable-smtp is not in the configure options, and also shows -USE_SMTP in compile options. That led me to suspect that the mutt package has been built without SMTP enabled such that I could configure mutt to send mail from the gmail account.

I hope that makes some sense.

Thanks.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #3 on: Wed Nov 27 09:31:29 2019 »
"mutt -v" command shows amongst other details that --enable-smtp is not in the configure options, and also shows -USE_SMTP in compile options. That led me to suspect that the mutt package has been built without SMTP enabled such that I could configure mutt to send mail from the gmail account.

I hope that makes some sense.

Thanks.
This makes absolutly sense. Thanks a lot for your details Infos. I will fix this package tonight (Paris TimeZone).
Hope it will be fixed.

Regards,
Thierry

hjevets

« Reply #4 on: Thu Nov 28 07:59:37 2019 »
Thierry,
Thank you for making this change to the mutt package so quickly.
I have installed the updated package and tested with it: sending email in my use-case seems to work perfectly now.
This saved me from having to build a separate version package here, which I've yet to learn to do. (I hope to get to doing that at a later date.)
Thanks again.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #5 on: Thu Nov 28 08:03:13 2019 »
Nice that you confirm that.

Enjoy your NuTyX as I do since almost 13 years now.