Author Topic: Error in installing 22.12  (Read 6799 times)

Scyth

Error in installing 22.12
« on: Mon Dec 26 06:15:48 2022 »
I thought I would give Nutyx a try out of curiosity. I downloaded the CDE version. And I get an error during the boot. I've never seen such an error before and I would like to know if anyone here has a solution.

https://ibb.co/j4dNy6s
« Last Edit: Mon Dec 26 23:40:42 2022 by Thierry »

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
Re: Error in installing 22.12
« Reply #1 on: Mon Dec 26 23:40:53 2022 »
Hi,

I guess your USB key that you used to transfer the ISO is broken or badly flush.

Here my recommendations:
- Use the dd command and nothing else like it's explain in the http://nutyx.org/en/downloads#5 tuto.
- A working USB key preferably a smaller size as they last much longer and resist beter to this command dd
- Make sure the flash is finish before removing the key.

Good luck.
Thierry
Hi all,

Scyth

« Reply #2 on: Tue Dec 27 03:58:01 2022 »
Hi Thierry,

Thanks for the idea, but I already tried that and it has not worked thus far.

I've tried several different USB sticks/keys and I haven't had a problem with them before. Ranging in size from 4GB to 16GB. I don't generally go above 16GB for such tasks as this. I've tried on two different machines also and the same error.

By the way, the downloads section of the website has an error, or at least it causes an error on my system...

dd if=$LFS/NuTyX_x86_64-22.12.0-BASE.iso of=/dev/sdX status=progress
sync

Not sure what the $LFS is doing in the above command on the downloads page, but this is the first time I've seen this in my life, it's likely a path variable, but it does not exist on my system.

If I get the chance and still have some time left to play with Nutyx then I will try a different download, LXQT maybe rather than CDE, and see how things go later this week.
« Last Edit: Tue Dec 27 04:13:55 2022 by Scyth »

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #3 on: Tue Dec 27 14:29:49 2022 »
Thanks for your feedback. I?m not sure I understand properly. Is the ISO which failed or the installation is not booting after reboot?

bru65pag

« Reply #4 on: Tue Dec 27 15:35:56 2022 »
As for $LFS, it comes from Linux From Scratch: https://linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter02/aboutlfs.html

What would be more appropriate in the context is:

Code: [Select]
dd if=/path/to/the/iso/NuTyX_x86_64-22.12.0-BASE.iso of=/dev/sdX status=progress
where you replace /path/to/the/iso with the location of the iso file. For instance:

dd if=/home/bruno/Downloads/NuTyX_x86_64-22.12.0-BASE.iso of=/dev/sdX status=progress

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #5 on: Tue Dec 27 22:54:53 2022 »
Fixed
Again thanks a lot for mention it.

BR,
Thierry
« Last Edit: Tue Dec 27 22:56:43 2022 by Thierry »

Scyth

« Reply #6 on: Wed Dec 28 00:20:09 2022 »
Thanks bru65pag for clarifying $LFS.

Thanks for your feedback. I?m not sure I understand properly. Is the ISO which failed or the installation is not booting after reboot?

The original problem that I posted about was visible in the link to the photo of a kernel panic.

To test further I downloaded the LXQT variant, and attempted to dd that onto three different USB sticks.

Used dd as per recommendation.

I went to boot them on another machine they didn't boot.

There was no Splash screen to select the type of boot options, as when I tried the CDE variant. The USB drive/stick/key was not recognized by the BIOS on the other machine at all.

I placed the USB drives back in my Linux Mint machine, and they weren't recognized by the filemanager, and inside the Disks utility the USB drive was listed as "Unknown". Inside Gparted the drive showed up as "Unallocated".

The above attempt was yesterday. I tried again today, this time I went straight to the Disks Utility after dd and the drive showed up as "Unknown".

Above was my result in testing the LXQT variant ISO yesterday.

I downloaded today the JWM ISO variant.

DD worked without a problem. Disks Utility shows the filesystems as expected. Drive shows up in filemanager with the four folders in the root of the main partition.

The USB drive booted without any problems. Tested various versions of the boot, debug, non-debug, live, and some others.

Most applications were not working apart from Firefox. Since I am new to Linux From Scratch, I can't properly test audio (it didn't work out-of-the-box). But apart from those things it booted.

If I get the chance then I will test further. As of this moment, my guess the issue is not on my end but with the ISOs provided.

Out of curiosity have these ISOs, that you are offering for download, actually being tested as a fresh install?

« Last Edit: Wed Dec 28 00:21:54 2022 by Scyth »

bru65pag

« Reply #7 on: Wed Dec 28 08:52:43 2022 »
Good morning Scyth,

I can confirm that the LXQT iso available on nutyx.org is working properly. I downloaded it a few minutes ago, installed it on a USB stick, and was able to boot up on the live version.
I do not have an idea why yours fails, but I can propose a few things to try out:

1) verify that the iso checksum is correct. To do so:
% cd /path/to/downloaded/iso
% ls
NuTyX_x86_64-22.12.0-LXQT.iso
% echo -n '23f6eee72be39699304555520bbe3e1f0082e1c8 NuTyX_x86_64-22.12.0-LXQT.iso' | sha1sum -c -
NuTyX_x86_64-22.12.0-LXQT.iso: OK
the SHA1 checksum number (the long number starting by 23) can be found on the download page of the iso. The command sha1sum - with a one, not the letter l - should return OK

2) prior to using the dd command, format the USB key:
% sudo mkfs --type=ext4 /dev/sddI assume that sdd is your USB key. You can find out with the command lsblk -S

If none of this helps, I am clueless  :(

Scyth

« Reply #8 on: Wed Dec 28 11:14:59 2022 »
Thanks for downloading and checking the LXQT iso.

Thanks also for making the effort to be so instructive in a clear manner as though I am completely new to Linux, even though I know those commands, it could be useful to other people to see the replies in the context of the subject presented.

After I had posted my previous reply here, it occurred to me to have checked the checksum, but by that time I had deleted the files. So that path of inquiry is gone forever.

I might download and try again CDE and LXQT variants, and if indeed the checksums are correct and it still fails then I will wonder whether to return to this thread, or to leave it as mystery.

For the moment I am content with JWM working enough as it is so as to give me some foundation to do other things on the system.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • NuTyX distribution
« Reply #9 on: Wed Dec 28 12:01:39 2022 »
I just get a possible raison. When you insert you usb to proceed dd, it can be that it's mounted automatically in mint. That's NOT GOOD.

USB key should never be mounted when using dd command

Ones the dd is done the usb label is nutyxcd.

Another hint: the dd process on CDE iso takes here about 400 to 500 sec means it should take about 10 minutes. If you're done in a few second, that means you flash something else...

PS: formatting the key is unnecessary as the dd command make a sector per sector copy starting from the very first one.

CDE ISO boot fine. I wanted to be s?re

Regards,
Thierry
« Last Edit: Wed Dec 28 12:25:28 2022 by Thierry »

Scyth

« Reply #10 on: Fri Dec 30 01:29:08 2022 »
Thanks for the input Thierry.

The whole automount of USB drives in Linux has always given me second thoughts. Years ago when I first started playing around with Linux and there was no automount I had less issues with dd than I do now. So you might be onto something there. 

Despite all these other ideas, I think this morning's testing might conclude that the matter is indeed the download itself, at least in some of the issues I have experienced.

I downloaded again the CDE ISO variant and this time I did check the sha1sum and it was incorrect. I downloaded yet again and yet again checksum was wrong, although the result was something different than the first time. Writing these images to USB resulted in a inability to locate a bootable USB device on the tested machine. This doesn't account for the kernel panic in the original post I made but it does explain the other failures. I can always install CDE from the JWM install if I want to.

I think there is little else that can be done at this point, it seems like Sourceforge does not offer its files well to me during the download, and I'm not sure why.

Thanks again.

teniie2

« Reply #11 on: Fri Mar 03 19:45:43 2023 »
I've used a variety of USB sticks and keys without experiencing any issues. size varying from 4GB to 16GB. In general, I don't use more than 16GB for jobs like these. The mistake occurred when I tried it on two separate PCs as well.

teniie2

« Reply #12 on: Thu Mar 09 11:49:10 2023 »
It occurred to me to verify the checksum after I had already put my prior response here, but by that point I had already erased the files. That line of investigation is thus permanently closed.

If the checksums are accurate and the CDE and LXQT variations still don't work when I download and try again, I might consider coming back to this post or abandoning it altogether.

teniie2

« Reply #13 on: Mon Mar 27 12:18:18 2023 »
Without additional information, it is unclear what the "22.12" refers to, so it is difficult to provide a specific solution. However, an error during installation can often be resolved by ensuring that the system meets the software's requirements, checking for compatibility issues, and attempting to reinstall or troubleshoot the installation process.